Tuesday 7 May 2013

Book Review of Armored Hearts by Melissa Turner Lee and Pauline Creeden


Blurb:

When a crippled young lord rescues a girl falling from a tree, it reveals a secret about himself and his mother's side of the family that could put him at the center of a war with beings he thought only existed in fairy tales.

Tristan Gareth Smyth lived his entire life stuck at home at Waverly Park and left behind while his Grandfather makes trips to London, all because of his blasted wheelchair.

Then an American heiress falls in his lap, literally, and he must find a way to keep her at a distance to protect not only his secret, but everyone around him from an assassin sent to kill him.

Review:


Armored HeartsArmored Hearts by Pauline Creeden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have previously read books by Melissa Turner Lee, but I haven't read anything by Pauline Creeden before, so I was curious to find out what these two authors could come up with. This is a fantastic story! I loved it!

Tristan Gareth Smyth is a fascinating character. Unable to walk, he uses a wheelchair to get around. I liked this character very much. He did have a tendency to mope, but he also has a pragmatic outlook on life. He pushes people away by being surly and difficult; I think he does this to avoid either pity or getting hurt, which is understandable, but (in my opinion) unnecessary. When he rescues a young girl, he finds out a shocking secret about himself. He can fly!

I can honestly say that I have never read a book like this! It is completely different to anything I have read before. There are elements of romance mixed in with an action/adventure that was very refreshing! I have heard of Steampunk in fashion (i.e. utilising old fashioned clothing with a modern twist), however, I never actually thought about it outside of the abstract. This book takes the Victorian era and puts a modern twist into it. I was completely fascinated with the "Bonnet Club" and what the ladies actually got up to. I suppose that if you liked tinkering with machines or inventing in those times, it was considered "un-lady-like". However, I slightly digress. This story took me on an amazing adventure, with secrets and revelations, mystery and suspense, combined with a touching romance. (Oh, and Seelie fairies!) I am most definitely looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

Melissa Turner Lee was already one of my favourite authors, so I am going to have to add Pauline Creeden to the list too! This was an amazing collaboration, and I hope these two authors will continue to work together for a long time to come!

I highly recommend this book if you love action/adventure, paranormal romance or Steampunk. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews                        

No comments:

Post a Comment