Wednesday 29 May 2013

Book Review of Genevieve - A Witchblood Story (Witchblood Series) by Emma Mills


Synopsis:

Paris, France 1793

Growing up in the court of King Louis XVI, Genevieve enjoys a sheltered privileged life with the gardens of Versailles as her playground, until on the eve of her nineteenth birthday, the king is executed and all hell breaks loose.

As family members and close friends fall prey to the Revolution, Genevieve turns to the one man who promises to help her; the shadowy figure in court, and friend to the elder brother that betrayed them all, but is Sebastian worthy of her trust or will he too betray her?

Genevieve has a choice to make, one that will change her life forever. Go it alone and try to escape the murderous streets of Paris, or join Sebastian, forget her nightmares and start a new life… an immortal life?

This is a novelette or short story of approximately 50 pages telling the story of Eva's beginning.


Review:


'Genevieve' - A Witchblood Novelette'Genevieve' - A Witchblood Novelette by Emma Mills
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the fourth book in the Witchblood Series, but it is a novelette and not a novel. I loved it!

First off, I would like to say that I LOVE the cover! It's quite striking!

Genevieve is a fascinating character. I really liked her when I first met her as Eva in Witchblood (Book 1 of the series). She is not focused on much in that book, so reading this novelette brought her to life more. I loved her independent streak, even though the time she lived in frowned on such forward thinking in their women!

This novelette, although short, has a wealth of descriptive text woven into a compelling tale of one woman's attempt to survive against the odds. I was a bit surprised at how willingly Genevieve accepted being turned into a vampire. Although, after giving it some thought, I suppose the alternative (death) was less appealing! I was also a bit unsure of Sebastian and his motives at first, but realised that he loved Genevieve and wanted to look after her. I still don't like his character though, and I cannot explain why. It's just a feeling I have after reading the other books.

Emma Mills has written another page turner! I was a bit disappointed when I reached the end of the book though; I felt it could have been a bit longer! I am now looking forward to reading any books by this author in the future.

I highly recommend this book if you love YA or paranormal romance. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment