Sunday 25 August 2013

Book Review of Purple by Graham J. Sharpe


Synopsis:

After a purple storm sweeps around Planet Earth, stealing millions of people, four teenagers struggle to make it alone in London. Drawn together by a series of bizarre coincidences, Ellie, Midge, Scott and Marty soon find themselves entangled with a bunch of interfering pensioners. Among the cast of players are flamboyant hairdresser Mr Rupert, Pearl the loud-mouthed tea lady and June, a psychic, who travels the world on her motorbike. As the tranquilizing effects of the Purple diminish, greed and the lust for power take hold. Penny Treasure, leader of the Decision Makers Council, dreams up an idea that could destroy the world forever.

Review:



PurplePurple by Graham J. Sharpe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This YA Fantasy book was an unexpected delight to read! I really enjoyed it.

There are four main characters, Ellie, Midge, Scott and Marty. I liked them all very much. Ellie is a very level headed young lady. Midge came across as a bit of a clumsy clots, but I found her bumbling quite endearing. Scott is an enterprising young man, with a good head for business. And Marty is a fine young man who has flashes of inspiration at odd moments.

Set in London, England, this tale was extremely eerie in places. I found that I couldn't put it down! Imagine waking up to find that all adults from the ages 18 to 65 have disappeared. This would be a teenager's dream, or so you would think! These four characters find themselves being drawn into a mystery that brings them together on adventure into the spiritual and metaphysical. There are some very unusual characters in this book that also play their part. Mr. Rupert, an 84 year old hairdresser; Pearl, an outspoken tea lady and June, a psychic. These characters all have their quirks, but I really liked Mr. Rupert. He made me laugh!
As this story is told from four points of view, the reader gets to see each of the main characters and how their lives are affected by the Purple fog. There are several twists and turns that surprised me, and kept me reading until the end.

Graham J. Sharpe has written an entertaining and thought provoking read. He has imbibed his story with charm and wit, but it also has an important message for the young readers.

I highly recommend this book to young readers between the ages of 11 and 16, but adults would enjoy this book too! - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews   

               

No comments:

Post a Comment