Thursday 29 August 2013

Book Review of See Through by Catherine Kirby



Synopsis:

With a shock Fleur discovers she's become invisible: she's not the only one either!
Meanwhile her family is falling apart. She can't do anything about it. Communication is impossible: they can neither see nor hear her.
Fleur's life is out of control and she's furious.


Review:


See ThroughSee Through by Catherine Kirby
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the second book I have read from this author. It is a completely different reading experience compared to Sari Cast; a totally different genre, but strangely enjoyable.

Fleur Grove (nee Purple) is a troubled character. Suffering a psychotic break, she finds herself having an out of body experience. I found this character to be a woman suffering with self esteem issues, and a narrow minded focus on one thing - having a baby. I'm not sure I liked her at first.

I must admit that I struggled to sympathize with this character, but as I read the story I began to like her more. This is a morality tale of sorts. There is more truth in the old saying, "No-one hears good things about themselves when they eavesdrop." Being invisible can shine the light on faults and flaws that you never realised you had. Fleur goes through a personal journey of discovery. I really liked meeting a few of the other "invisible's". Black is a bit of a ladies man, Grey is a grey haired granny and Silver seems to be quite important and in charge of the "colours".
This story is told from two points of view, that of Fleur's and her husband's, Sean. Watching these two characters struggle to deal with their own problems, and grow from the experience, was inspirational. However, I had one favourite character, Dylan. He is a cheeky seven year old. I fell in love with his cuteness!

Catherine Kirby has written an intriguing tale. Unfortunately, although beautifully written, I found that some of the scenes seemed to drag. I did enjoy the story though, and will consider reading another book written by this author.

I recommend this book if you love chick lit, contemporary fiction or fantasy genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


     

No comments:

Post a Comment