Wednesday 21 August 2013

Movie Review of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones based on the novel by Cassandra Clare


The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - based on the novel by Cassandra Clare

Director: Harald Zwart
Cast: Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower, Robert Sheehan, Kevin Zegers, Lena Headey, Kevin Durand, Aidan Turner, Jemima West, Godfrey Gao with CCH Pounder, with Jared Harris and Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Release Date: 21/08/2013 (UK)
Length: 130 Mins
Rating: 12A
Content Advice: Contains mild violence and threat

Synopsis:

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is a thrill-ride adventure from the bestselling cult novel that takes Twilight themes to a totally new level. Clary (Lily Collins) is a regular New York girl. When she starts seeing strange things, she starts to get the message that she may not be that regular, something one of the ‘invisible's’ she has been seeing confirms, explaining she has very special powers needed for the mammoth battle in a world of vampires, demons and werewolves in which she is destined to play a key part. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is eye-popping, terrifying and the start of something very big indeed.

Review:

I have been looking forward to watch this ever since I heard it was going to be made. I fell in love with the series, and am eagerly awaiting the sixth and final book, which is not being released until May 2014! I know that to get the book made into a movie, several scenes would have to be cut or new ones created. Luckily, the story closely followed the book, but there were some changes made that I found intriguing and others that I wasn't happy about. I don't like giving spoilers, because it would upset me if I read something about the movie myself, so I am going to try and not give anything away if I can help it! I will say that I did enjoy the story very much.
The choice of Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace has been highly debated ever since he was first cast. I was one of the doubters, but watching his performance, I have changed my mind. He has taken Jace's character and added a bit of his own, and created a very credible Shadowhunter. Lily Collins makes a very convincing Clary Fray, and the other characters played their parts very well too. The Silent Brothers were definitely scary to look at, and exactly as I imagined them! However, I think I may have to watch this movie again, as I was struggling to concentrate near the end! Note to self: Don't buy such a large drink in future! Luckily, I managed to hold on until the end!
I will definitely be adding the movie to my DVD collection when it becomes available! 

Verdict:

I give this movie 4.5 popcorn boxes, as the special effects did not have a wow factor and some of the demons reminded me slightly of the movie Alien. However, it is an adaption that has been highly entertaining to watch!

Recommendation:

I recommend this movie if you love The Mortal Instruments series. However, there will be some hard-core fans that will not like the compromises made. If you have not read the books, the movie could be a bit confusing at first, but just like Harry Potter, as the series goes on, it should become clearer.

- Lynn Worton

No comments:

Post a Comment