Friday 6 September 2013

Book Review of Crossroads by Chandler McGrew



Synopsis:

Sheila Bright talks to the dead including the ghost of her mother who wants to move to California. Kira Graves can produce money out of thin air. The two of them, Shape Shifters, Pookas, Lost Boys and more all inhabit the Crossroads, where good and evil collide.
When Kira's family and everyone else in their carnival are murdered by unearthly creatures called Grigs, Kira and her constant companion, Jen, flee toward a half-mythical place of safety called Graves Island, but they fail to reach it when Kira is drawn through the looking glass to another world. The planet of the Creators is swiftly deteriorating from a world of dreams into one of nightmares, and the only way to stop the Empty-Eyed Man from turning the entire universe into chaos is for Kira to destroy the tool he most desires, but what she must sacrifice to do so may be worth more to her than the prize.

Review:



CrossroadsCrossroads by Chandler McGrew
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is an intriguing and thrilling story. I loved it!

Kira Graves is a wonderful character. She is a young girl living with her family in a carnival. She has a special ability - she can make money by just thinking about it (I wish I had that ability!). I really liked her spirit and courage when faced with imminent danger. She is one plucky kid! She has a best friend called Jen, and they are as close as sisters. However, Jen is a Pooka, a magical being that can only be seen by a few people. When danger threatens the carnival, Kira and Jen embark on a journey that will take them to a magical realm where evil lurks and danger is ever present.

Sheila Bright is another fantastic character. She is a psychic, who doesn't want to be. I liked her very much.

This is an extremely dark, but exciting read. I struggled to get into the story at first, but as I continued to read, and the action hotted up, I was hooked! The story had a feeling of foreboding and suspense that flowed throughout, and the Grigs scared me to death; I shudder even now thinking about them! The Empty-Eyed man is a chilling and scary character, and he made my skin crawl!
This story has several points of view by different characters; I found this extremely exciting, because it gave depth to the characters and made them come alive. The story has several twists and turns, which kept me on the edge of my seat! I loved the ending, and now look forward to reading more books by this author.

Chandler McGrew has written a fast paced tale that thrilled and chilled me! I loved the mix of horror, suspense and fantasy that the author used to create this story. He has found a fan in me!

I recommend this book if you love horror, thrillers, suspense, paranormal or fantasy genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews



             

No comments:

Post a Comment