Saturday 12 October 2013

Book Review of The One (Species Intervention #6609 Book 6) by J.K. Accinni


Synopsis:

Almost a hundred years pass. The Earth is ready for habitation. But it is a far different Earth from the one last seen so long ago. New plants and forms of wildlife from different worlds populate the planet, as chosen by the Womb.

The survivors, as expected, have not aged a day since the bombs dropped. New alliances have been made; relationships that should have led to the birth of children flourish unhappily without babies. The original wildlife is still with them, along with their generations of offspring. Every human now realizes their role is to support the animals.

And what of poor six-year-old Suzy as she is mourned and forgotten by her grandfather and sister?

Scotty is hailed as The One to restore domination by the humans, even as they all fail to understand how. Struggles ensue as the survivors discover the perils of the new and amazing life delivered to the planet by the Womb. They fight to eke out a role in the new ecosystem that has put them at the bottom of the food chain.

As the survivors begin to develop a new civilization for themselves above ground; the new natural order thrusts women into positions of power. Will the softer of the species spell success for what is left of the human race? Or are the mistakes of the past doomed to be repeated?


Review:


The One (Species Intervention #6609, #6)The One by J.K. Accinni
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review 6******

This is the sixth and final book in The Species Intervention Series. I loved it!

Wow, where do I start?! I'm still reeling! I usually do a character breakdown, but this book is told from several different points of view, so it would take me forever to do so in this instance. Therefore, I'm just going to dive right into my review.

I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this book, because I wanted to see how Netty, Wil, Abby, Scott, Jose, Chloe, Cobby, Kane, Ginger Mae, Peter, Daisy, Kenya, Johno, Baby and Echo, as well as all the other characters (and animals) were coping in the Womb. It was nice to meet them again. Kenya is still pregnant! Secrets are still being kept and surprises are in store for some of the inhabitants.
We also get to find out what happened to Suzy after her kidnapping. It is not easy living in the aftermath of a nuclear war, and sickness is prevalent. Suzy quickly grows up and is thrust into a dangerous world where women are traded and treated as slaves. I admired her determination to overcome obstacles. She is a very strong willed person, who has had to suffer through a terrible ordeal with her family in the previous book, only to find herself in an even more challenging position. This story is told over several decades (90 years to be precise), so we are then introduced to some new characters, mainly Lorna and Seth, Suzy's children.

This book is full of twists, turns and shocking revelations that kept me completely hooked! The story is just as dark as the previous books, and contains scenes of depravity and violence that made me feel sick, but I had the "rabbit in the headlights" fascination/horror feeling again that kept me turning the pages! I was swept into a wild and emotional rollercoaster ride. The characters are extremely lifelike, and some of them made me ashamed to be a part of a society that has lost their moral compass, along with the respect of Mother Nature. I wouldn't be surprised if we were wiped out by a rouge asteroid, or some other cataclysm in karmic retribution. We would deserve it! The ending was shocking, but not totally unexpected; I'm glad the story ended the way it did.

Side note:
Why do humans feel the need to inflict pain and suffering on every living thing on this world (including the Earth)? This question I truly would like an answer to. There is a line from the movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (2008 version) that resonated in me. (Me para-phrasing) Klaatu said, "If the Earth dies, you die. But if you die, the Earth lives". Man is damaging the Earth, and killing himself and all the life on this planet by his greed for the "riches" and "resources" that we have been gifted. (I have a sneaking suspicion that is what happened on Mars!). This book (and the series as a whole), has touched me very deeply, and I would totally agree with the mission given to Baby and Echo by the Womb all those years before.

J.K. Accinni is a fantastic writer, who has become one of my favourite authors. I am looking forward to reading more of her work in the future.

Due to the violence and abuse, I do not recommend this book (or series) to younger readers or those of a sensitive nature. However, I HIGHLY recommend this book (and series) if you love science fiction or dystopian genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


       

No comments:

Post a Comment