Sunday 5 January 2014

Book Review of Crescent Moon by Delilah Devlin



Synopsis:

From ancient Egypt to present-day New Orleans, a woman of exceptional strength is called to protect against an unspeakable evil…and to experience an unforgettable seduction.
Khepri still isn’
t used to being The God’s Wife. The daughter of a common farmer, she’s more comfortable being friends with servants than employing a whole team of them. Being the wife of Amun affords her luxuries she only dreamed of, but her dreams are not always a haven…they are also filled with demons. Lately she’s had doubts about the role she’s been thrust into. She’s had yearnings for another sort of life, one where she’s loved intimately, rather than only adored from afar.

When a powerful man lures her away from her temple, she’s thrilled at the chance for an adventure. Her adventure quickly becomes a nightmare when the handsome vizier mummifies her alive. Pure of heart and body, she’s the warrior he foresees will battle a demonic pharaoh if ever he awakens. Khepri’s sure he’s insane, until she awakens in a distant future. Alone and needing a guide in this strange and garish new world, she turns to the troubled man who set her free...

When New Orleans police detective Justin Henry Boucher is called to the Garden Museum to investigate stolen Egyptian artifacts, it’s not exactly the adrenaline rush he used to get working a homicide. But with a reprimand on his record and a sorrow he can’t shake, he will take what he can get – as long as he can keep his badge. What he doesn’t count on is having to keep his cool when he finds one of the priceless artifacts – a golden-skinned goddess wrapped in fabric like a mummy, left to die and needing his help. She’s a mystery he’s determined to unravel. She might also be the cure for his lonely heart.

This book was initially released in episodes as a Kindle Serial. All episodes are now available for immediate download as a complete book.


Review:


Crescent MoonCrescent Moon by Delilah Devlin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I downloaded this book because the synopsis intrigued me. I'm glad I did, because I really enjoyed it!

Khepri is a wonderful character. She is The God's Wife, (a type of high priestess and spiritual wife to Amun) who is, because of her position, quite highly regarded as second to the Pharaoh in power. She is quite naive in some respects, living a sheltered life, but she has wisdom beyond her years. I liked her a lot.

Justin Henry Boucher is also another wonderful character. He is a police detective who has had a sideways promotion to robbery division after his partner was killed. He is tough, cynical and world wary. However, after meeting Khepri, he realises there is more to this mysterious woman than meets the eye. I loved this character's protective streak.

This is a very interesting romance story. I love ancient Egyptian history; I find it fascinating. However, this book is very much a modern romance. The author has taken poetic licence with the use of the gods and turned this book into a time travelling romantic adventure. Originally a serial released as a chapter at a time, this book has been put together to give the reader the opportunity to read it whole. The characters are very lifelike and likable. I found myself completely transfixed by the story and it surprised me when I came to the end! I must admit that I did find the motives and actions of the Vizier were not fully explained properly (in my opinion). However, the story was a fast paced action/adventure/romance with danger in the form of a resurrected, power hungry Pharaoh. There is a wonderful chemistry between Khepri and Justin (Juste to his friends). Their passion sizzles on the pages! I even enjoyed meeting Michael, Juste's police partner, who sounds rather dishy himself! I wonder if the author is considering (or had considered) writing a story with him in mind? I would love to read it if she has! The end of the story was quite touching, and I even shed a tear or two! (I love a happy ending!).

Delilah Devlin has written a steamy romance novel that kept me hooked from the first page. Her pacing on the story was a bit bumpy in places but, I suppose as it was written and released in stages, that is understandable. However, that did not diminish my enjoyment of the story. She is an author I have not heard of before, but now that I have sampled her work, I would consider reading her other books.

Due to scenes of a sensual nature that (although not as explicit as some books I have read) are on the steamy side, I do not recommend this book to younger readers. However, I recommend this book if you love hot, steamy romance novels. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


          

No comments:

Post a Comment