Friday 10 January 2014

Book Review of Murder & Single Malt by Mark Anderson Esq.



Synopsis:

Mike and his car appear to match a description given to police from a recent crime scene. The murder of two young women. He's taken into custody for further questioning. The worst possible outcome for a sloppy serial killer. Alcohol and depression, the perfect ingredients for a killing rampage the likes of which the sleepy town of Mainberry has never seen. Can the police put the pieces together in time or will Mike be forced to keep killing. As the police try to sort the lies from the truth, Mike must sift through the madness (butchering the homeless), the paranoia (slaying his former boss) and the violence (torturing Sally's new boyfriend). ### Murder & Single Malt is the debut novel of Mark Anderson Esquire. A psychological thriller fueled by mayhem, violence and a love for fine whiskey.

Review:


Murder & Single MaltMurder & Single Malt by Mark Anderson Esquire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Mike Baker is a really interesting character. He is most assuredly a killer a la Dexter, but I just couldn't figure out whether the author wanted the reader to like him or hate him. Unfortunately, I found myself being a bit amused/disgusted (depending on the scene) by him. He is a psychopath with no idea why he is the way he is.

The story was quite intriguing; I found myself engrossed in the tale. It reads a bit like a memoir with several flashbacks. There are several scenes of violence that made me grimace, but there were also some scenes that were a little bit unbelievable. I, for one, also couldn't believe that the police in Mainberry were so clueless about the number of crimes perpetrated by Mike in such a short period of time; the sheer volume of murders in a town would have been noticed pretty quickly! Nevertheless, I did enjoy the story, even with the few inconsistencies. I must admit that I am not the biggest fan of horror, although I am a fan of psychological thrillers. This story was a mixture of both and an entertaining read. I am looking forward to seeing what other stories this author comes up with.

This is Mark Anderson's debut novel. I found his writing to be fast paced and enjoyable, but he needs to pay more attention towards the small details.

I do not recommend this book to younger readers due to the violence, but I recommend this book if you love psychological thriller or horror genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


               

No comments:

Post a Comment