Monday 12 May 2014

Audio/Book Review of Tiger's Curse: Tiger's Curse: Book One by Colleen Houck


Synopsis:

Would you risk it all to change your destiny? The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she'd be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that's exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Review:


Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1)Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the first book in the Tiger's Curse series. I loved it!

Kelsey Hayes is a fantastic character. I did like her a lot, but on a few occasions wanted to shake her. She is a typical teenager, filled with angst and uncertainty. When she is offered a temporary job to look after the animals in a circus, little does she know what adventure awaits.

I have been wanting to read this series since it was first released, but never seemed to find time. Therefore, I decided to download this as an audio book, so I could listen to it whilst doing household chores.

The audio book was narrated by Annika Boras and Sanjiv Jahveri. Sanjiv Jahveri did the Prologue and the Epilogue, and the rest of the story was narrated by Annika Boras. This made an interesting contrast. Both narrators did a fantastic job. Their voices were extremely pleasant to listen to. I did find some of Annika's interpretations of Ren's voice/emotions made him sound constantly amused. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it made me think that he was a bit patronizing towards, or amused by, Kelsey even though he may not have been. Each reader has a different interpretation of a story, so I suppose if I had read the book myself, I may not have had the same reaction. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the pace of her narration.

The story has more adventure and danger than romance, but the promise of it made me quite excited. Kelsey's description of herself was as a female Indiana Jones, but I sort of imagined her more as a Lara Croft type (minus the weapons). The story takes the reader on a amazing journey from America to India. The vivid descriptions by the author made me feel like I was really there. There are several twists and turns that kept me hooked, and I sometimes found myself listening with rapt attention for hours at a time! (luckily, mostly over the weekend!). There is a lot of danger in the quest to break the curse that holds Ren in sway, and there are some really scary moments that had me holding my breath! It was interesting to see how Kelsey and Ren's relationship grew. Ren is very old fashioned (he is over 300 years old after all!), but he is also extremely charming. I wish there were more men like him around today. I had a few "Aww" moments when he did something romantic; it made me melt! His brother was just as charming, but in a completely different way. Anik Khadam (sorry, not sure of spelling, as I only have the narrators voice to go by), is also a charming character. He is an older gentleman, who works as protector and adviser to Ren. I really liked this character too.
This book would make a great movie, but it could be a bit tricky to have a real tiger involved. I don't know if a CGI one would work, but it maybe the only way to bring Ren's tiger to life, if they did decide to make a movie of this book.
The end of the story sent a shiver up my back, and I am now looking forward to continuing the series by getting the next book, Tiger's Quest, as soon as possible.

Colleen Houck has written a fantastic YA story that is a completely action packed adventure. I love her writing style, which is fast paced and exciting, without being rushed. She has found another fan in me, and I will be adding her to my Favourite Author's list as soon as possible.

I highly recommend this book if you love YA, Romance or Action/Adventure genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


               

No comments:

Post a Comment