Saturday 14 June 2014

Book Review of Electric Times: Rumblings of the Working Class by Tim Coaty



Synopsis:

“Electric Times: Rumblings of the Working Class” is a collection of articles that evoke emotions from page to page, pushing old and forgotten memories back into the minds of readers. 

Review:


Electric Times: Rumblings of the Working ClassElectric Times: Rumblings of the Working Class by Tim Coaty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received a complementary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a short novella of anecdotes and memories of the author. This type of book is not my normal usual genre choice, but I decided to give it a try. I actually enjoyed it.

These stories would probably relate better to those hard working blue collars workers in the "trades" such as electricians, builders and plumbers. However, it was an easy and quick read. I got most of the terms relating to the electrical trade, as my father was (and is) a trained electrician. These stories were sometimes funny, and made me grin at some of the author's actions, or those around him. The tools of a tradesman are sacrosanct, and several of the stories pay homage to the tools at his disposal. "The Pencil" is such an evocative and, almost poetic, ode to the humble pencil. I loved the simplicity of the stories and anecdotes, but felt that they could have been a little longer in content. However, overall, I totally enjoyed the journey into a world that I have lived on the periphery of for years, but never ventured far into.

Tim Coaty has written a witty, thought provoking and engaging collection of stories that has given me a deeper understanding of those in "the trade". I hope he continues to write, as he has a way with words that captured my imagination. I am just sorry that it took me so long to get to read this book.

I recommend this book to everyone who are in (or considering going into) the trades, or if you love memoirs or anthologies. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                             

No comments:

Post a Comment