Sunday 20 July 2014

Book Review of Super Fred by Tony Gilbert & Illustrated by Pippa Cornell



Synopsis:

Fred is an unusual monster. After leaving scare school he realises that he doesn't want to scare little boys and girls. How can he show his face in Monster Land now? Everyone will laugh at him! Then he meets a little boy called Dale, who comes up with an unexpected plan.

Review:


Super FredSuper Fred by Tony Gilbert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a fantastic children's book for boys and girls aged 0 to 11. I loved it!

Fred is a wonderful character. He has just graduated from scare school, but realises that scaring is not for him. I loved this gentle monster. His heart is kind and good.

Dale is a human boy, and Fred's first scare after leaving school. I loved this character's compassion. His plan to help Fred is quite clever!

I loved this little story about a monster who doesn't want to be scary. Not every monster has a wish to frighten others or be bad. Fred is one such monster. The author has written this story with a rhyming pattern that flows beautifully and rolls off the tongue. I would love to read this out loud to a youngster, because the cadence just lends itself to being spoken. Unfortunately, my two oldest nephews are a bit too old for this story, and my two youngest nephews live too far away. However, this doesn't stop me from reading books like these, because I like to read them. I was also impressed with the illustrations. The artist, Pippa Cornell, has complimented the story with some deliciously cute drawings. They describe the story very well for those children who cannot read. These could also allow a child to create their own story, if they so desire.

Tony Gilbert has written a fantastic tale of friendship and caring. I love his writing style, which also flows wonderfully. I have read one other book by this author, and I look forward to reading many more of them.

I highly recommend this book to children aged 0 to 11 years and to adults who, like me, love children's or young adult books. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

             

No comments:

Post a Comment