Wednesday 3 December 2014

Book Review of New Beginnings (Others of Edenton) by Brandy L. Rivers



Book Title: New Beginnings (Others of Edenton Book 0.5)
Genre: Erotic Paranormal Romance
Pages: 222
Author: Brandy L. Rivers
Date Published: 23 December 2013

Synopsis:

18+ Adult Content

Jess knew her life would never move forward if she remained a part of Gregory’s pack. Some Alphas just don’t know how to take care of their wolves. She had managed Gregory’s bar for years but she knew he would never sell it to her.

After one giant mistake, he went from bad to worse. As a psychic, she knew it was a downward spiral.

Taking her future in her own hands, she contacts the Alpha in Edenton. He is happy to sell the empty bar no one has the time, nor desire to renovate, much less run.

Their attraction is unexpected and the last thing either want, but they find the only thing they need in each other.

There is just one problem. Slater’s second in command is plotting against him. Liam will use anything to take over as Alpha.

Plenty of werewolves, an old vampire flame, plus a paranoid second, and don’t forget the psychic with a whole lot of attitude.

Review:


New Beginnings (Others of Edenton, #0.5)New Beginnings by Brandy L. Rivers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the prequel novel to the Others of Edenton series. I really enjoyed it!

Jess is a character I didn't like. She is a werewolf, who also happens to be a psychic. I found her a bit hypocritical at times. She is determined, feisty and a force to be reckoned with, especially since she can see flashes of the future. However, she also has a tendency to meddle in the lives of her friends quite a bit, but doesn't like it when others to do the same to her.

I really liked Slater, the Alpha of the wolf pack. He is a tough but fair leader, who has a sense of honour and is respected by his pack. When Jess comes to Edenton, he doesn't know what to make of the instant attraction he feels for her.

I have a huge passion for erotic paranormal romances, so I was looking forward to reading this one, as the blurb intrigued me. I started to read this book and finished it in one sitting, because I couldn't put it down! However, even though I really enjoyed the story, I found the dialogue to be a bit melodramatic and too "teenage angst-y" for grown adult characters. Jess treats most of the pack, apart from Brody, with disdain, as if they are not worth her time. What Slater sees in her is a mystery to me, as she treats him worse than the others at times. Granted, she doesn't want to be attracted to her Alpha (and I get that), but as she can see them together in the future, why she treats him the way she does confuses me. She also tends to whine when things aren't going the way she wants them to. But, as this is the prequel to the main series, the story introduces the reader to most of the main characters who will feature more in the main story arc; they are all fascinating characters. The story is told through several points of view, which made it a quite interesting experience. There is danger and romance aplenty in this book. The heat between Jess and Slater fairly burned the pages, even as they fight their mutual attraction. The characters came to life and, due to the vivid descriptions, I felt like I was there, watching the scenes unfold. Liam is a character who made my skin crawl. He is a very emotionally unsteady person, with a seriously dangerous streak. His obsession with being Alpha made me wonder if he was brainwashed, delusional, or both.

The ending left me looking forward to continuing the series, and I will be reading In Too Deep as soon as possible.

Brandy L. Rivers has written an intriguing start to a series. I loved her fast paced writing style, and the flow was wonderful. Unfortunately, the melodramatic dialogue was the only thing that let this story down, in my opinion. However, with that being said, I would definitely read more of her books in the future.

Due to explicit scenes of a sexual nature, I do not recommend this book to readers under the age of 18. However, I do recommend this book if you love hot erotic paranormal romances full of werewolves, vampires, fae, druids etc. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


             

No comments:

Post a Comment