Monday 13 October 2014

Book Review of Dragon Blues by Edie Ramer


Book Title: Dragon Blues
Genre: Erotic Paranormal Romance
Pages: 276
Author: Edie Ramer
Date Published: 15 February 2011

Synopsis:

Once a dragon...
Saxophone player Noah Long shifted from dragon to human 2500 years ago, but the dragon blood still coursing through his veins has kept him healthy and virile. Now his secret is out, and the man who discovered it will do anything to make Noah's blood his own. Noah's only ally is martial arts expert Lila Fox, who heats up the fire in his belly...and his heart.

Twice a killer...
Lila Fox's first kill was at age sixteen after her stepfather put her mother in a wheelchair. Fourteen years later, she kills another abuser to save a woman's life. When the man who wants Noah's blood kills her sister, she can't let the death go unanswered. She teams up with the strangely compelling Noah, and discovers he's not all man and has a few tricks of his own.

Review:


Dragon BluesDragon Blues by Edie Ramer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is an interesting paranormal romance. I really enjoyed it.

Noah Long is an interesting character. He is a dragon, who has shape-shifted into human form to enable him to "fit in" with the human population. He has a deep appreciation of treasures and flashy items, but his greatest passion is music, Blues to be more precise. That is until he meets Lila Fox.

Lila Fox is also an interesting character. She is a strong, independent woman, who has not had a wonderful childhood. After (accidentally but on purpose) killing a man in self defense, she finds herself in Noah's store, but having to deal with more than she bargained for.

I downloaded this book when I first bought my Kindle back in 2012 as the synopsis intrigued me. I have read lots of stories where people shape-shift into dragons, and only one other book besides this one that has a dragon shift into human form to blend in. This story captured me from the first page. Unfortunately, about one third of the way in, I felt that the momentum of the story seemed to fizzle. It was as if the author was struggling to come up with something to tie certain scenes together. Other readers may disagree, because the book I downloaded was published in 2012 and, as this book was re-released in 2013, I don't know if my copy was updated with any changes. However, I persevered reading. The story picked up pace again and climaxed in an amazing fight scene near the end.

I am all for instant attraction, but insta-love after knowing someone for four days? I'm not so sure. Be that as it may, I loved the interaction between Noah and Lila, but most of the other characters seemed not as well developed as they could have been. I was also not happy with the villainous character of Carter Fromm. He didn't seem very convincing as a villain. He did have a huge ego and, although he had a crippling disease, I couldn't feel anything for him. I think that Carter Fromm got what he deserved in the end though.

Edie Ramer has written a paranormal romance that kept me entertained from beginning to end. Her writing style was fast paced, though the flow could have been better. I have not read any other books by this author, but I would definitely try her other books in the future.

Due to scenes of a sexual nature that are a little on the explicit side, I do not recommend this book to younger readers (under 16). However, I recommend this book if you love paranormal romances or stories with sexy dragons. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


            

No comments:

Post a Comment