Sunday 27 April 2014

Audio/Book Review of Fragments (The Partials Sequence #2) by Dan Wells



Synopsis:

Fighting to stop a war that could destroy everyone alive…

Kira Walker nearly died searching for the RM cure, but the battle for survival is only just beginning. The ge
netically-engineered Partials are inextricably bound to a greater plan that could save both races and give Kira the answers she desperately seeks.

Venturing deep into the wasteland, Kira’s only allies are an unhinged drifter and two Partials who betrayed her yet saved her life – the only ones who know her secret. Back on Long Island, what’s left of humanity is gearing up for war. But their greatest enemy may be one they didn’t even know existed.

It is the eleventh hour of humanity’s time on earth; this journey may be their last.


Review:


Fragments (Partials, #2)Fragments by Dan Wells
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the second book in the Partials Sequence. I loved it!

I downloaded this book in audio format, as I wanted to read it but didn't have time to. Getting this book in audio allowed me to be able to listen to it whilst doing household chores, or when I was too tired from work to hold a book or my Kindle. The narrator, Julia Whelan, did another fantastic job in bringing the characters to life by giving them their own accent and voice.

Kira Walker is now seventeen years old and is still trying to find a solution to the deadly RM virus. Her search takes her on a dangerous journey through a deadly and treacherous landscape called "the Wasteland". Along the way she meets new friends, and new foes are looking for her. Will Kira and Samm be successful in their mission?

The story continues from the end of the first book, and see's Kira trying to find information on Paragen - the company that created the Partials (and her) - and travelling across the mainland to Chicago to find answers to the numerous questions that were left unanswered in the first story. This story is now told from various points of view, rather than just Kira's, and this gives the reader an insight as to what is happening to the other characters in the various locations. It was nice to have Samm's thoughts and feelings brought to life, as I had commented in my review of Partials that I would have liked to know what he thought of things. The multiple view points of Kira, Samm, Marcus and a few other characters has given me a broader picture and it made it easier to picture the scenes. In fact, I felt like I was watching a movie, as the details and descriptions were extremely vivid. There are surprising twists and turns that pepper the story, and I was completely engrossed from start to finish. There is a huge twist that shocked me, but in a way, the situation made sense. I was in tears for some of the story, as it is rather brutally sad, but there are some rather touching moments that also made me smile. There is a lot of danger and adventure that had me sitting on the edge of the seat. At one point, I found myself holding my breath as Kira explored a building, and got a little lightheaded from the lack of oxygen! The end of the story finishes on a cliffhanger, and now I can't wait to get a copy of the last book in the trilogy, Ruins.

Dan Wells has written a fast paced, action packed post-apocalyptic YA novel that kept me riveted from the first page. I loved his writing style, which kept me highly entertained and the story flowed wonderfully. I would love to see this series being made for the big screen.

I highly recommend this book (and series) if you love books like The Hunger Games and Divergent or YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian or Post-Apocalyptic genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                 

No comments:

Post a Comment