Monday 19 May 2014

Audio/Book Review of Ruins (The Partials Sequence #3) by Dan Wells



Synopsis:

Kira, Samm, and Marcus fight to prevent a final war between Partials and humans in the gripping final installment in the Partials Sequence, a series that combines the thrilling action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Blade Runner and The Stand.

There is no avoiding it—the war to decide the fate of both humans and Partials is at hand. Both sides hold in their possession a weapon that could destroy the other, and Kira Walker has precious little time to prevent that from happening. She has one chance to save both species and the world with them, but it will only come at great personal cost.


Review:


Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3)Ruins by Dan Wells
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This the third book in the Partials Sequence. I absolutely LOVED it!

I downloaded this book in audio format, as I wanted to read it but because it hadn't been released in Kindle format in the UK yet, I was dying to know what happened next! Getting this book in audio allowed me to be able to listen to it whilst doing household chores, or focus on the story from the comfort of a chair or my bed. The narrator, Julia Whelan, did another fantastic job in bringing the characters to life by giving them their own accent and voice. Her narration was well paced and even, and was concise and exciting.

Kira Walker is a fantastic character. She may be a Partial, but she has more compassion than some humans. I really liked her a lot. She is brave, determined and, even though she is a medic, can kick ass when she needs to.

Samm is another fantastic character. He is a Partial too, but a soldier with a dream - to find how to stop the expiration of the Partials. I liked him a lot too. He is a soldier used to following orders, but his love for Kira and his desire to live sees him following his heart.

The story continues from the end of the second book. War is inevitable, but Kira, Samm and Marcus are determined to try to stop it if they can. As this story is told through various points of view, but mostly through Kira's Samm's and Marcus's eyes, I felt like I was actually watching a movie; the descriptions of the people and the environs were extremely vivid. There are several twists and turns in this tale that surprised me. None more so than the identity of the "Blood Man". What made him the way he was, was more shocking to me than the actual brutality of his actions (which were decidedly gross). There are some scenes that are extremely violent and disturbing, but there are also some scenes that are touching and made me cry. It was nice to meet up with most of Kira's friends, Nandita Merchant, Isolde Romer, Ariel McAdams, Xochi Kessler, and Yoon Ji-Bak again. However, things are not what they seem and new alliances are formed and enemies made. Heron is an enigma, and I wasn't sure what team she was on, but her actions near the end of the story made her a hero in my book. I was a little disappointed at how the story concluded, as I felt there were a few questions of my own that remained unanswered. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the exciting roller coaster ride of action and romance that took me on an amazing journey through a post-apocalyptic world. I would love to see this trilogy made into a movie, as I think it would definitely give The Hunger Games and Divergent a run for their money.

Dan Wells has written a fast paced, action packed post-apocalyptic YA novel that kept me riveted from the first page. I love his writing style, which kept me highly entertained, and the story flowed wonderfully. I have added this author to my Favourite Author's list, and will be looking out for more of his work in the future.

I highly recommend this book (and series) if you love books like The Hunger Games and Divergent, or if you love to read YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian or Post-Apocalyptic genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                        

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a great series. I'll look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fantastic series! IMHO, better than The Hunger Games, but a close second to Divergent. :P
      Enjoy!

      Delete