Friday 19 September 2014

Book Review of The Cost of Crude by Inge-Lise Goss



Book Title: The Cost of Crude
Genre: Thriller/Mystery/Suspense
Pages: 290
Author: Inge-Lise Goss
Date Published: 8 May 2014

Synopsis:

Gwynn Reznick's life is shattered when her best friend and co-worker at Wilton Oil & Gas Company dies in a car crash. She doubts it was an accident. Her suspicion is confirmed when a private investigator, Ruben Dordi, shows up at her door. His team has discovered a trail of unusual deaths and disappearances among Wilton employees. To make matters worse, Gwynn is under constant surveillance by those responsible for her friend's death. But that doesn't deter her from getting involved in the investigation. Danger lurks in every corner of the Wilton Tower. One false move could turn a risky situation into a death trap. As the investigation team digs deeper, they begin to unravel a sinister plot that threatens a catastrophic pipeline disaster. Will they solve the crime before it is too late?

Review:


The Cost of CrudeThe Cost of Crude by Inge-Lise Goss
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was recommended this book by a friend. I read the blurb and, having read another book by this author, decided to give it a try. I am glad I did, because I loved it!

Gwynn Reznick is a character I really liked. She is a strong, determined and courageous lady. I would love to have her as a best friend.

Oil is a commodity that has revolutionized our modern society. We use it on a daily basis in several products made from it, we heat our houses with it and use it to fuel cars, aeroplanes and factories. It is a fossil fuel that has taken millions of years to make in the Earth's womb. Because we are using this precious resource faster than the Earth can make it, greed and the lust for power over it has driven men into desperate acts, including fighting wars, for possession it.

This story is an exciting, fast paced thriller that caught and held my attention from the first page. The story is told through various characters' points of view, which I found very interesting. Each character came alive on the page. I liked meeting Ruben Dordi, who is very good at his job as a private investigator. He is a very complex character, who takes his job very seriously. He is a great team leader and a fair man. I would have loved to see a bit more of the story through his eyes, but as Gwynn is the main character in the story, it wasn't to be. Nevertheless, I was a little surprised that Gwynn was allowed to sit through the team briefings; this wouldn't be normal business practice for a private investigator to do. That being said, the story was full of twists and turns that were masterfully woven into a thrilling tale of greed and corruption. There were a few places in the book where I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat! I don't think I would have been as brave as Julie, who knew that her actions could get her killed, but she still did it anyway. And I know that I wouldn't have been able to do what Gwynn did by helping with the investigation. I'm not sure I'm that brave!
There is one scene in the book where my heart felt like it had stopped, because it completely took me by surprise; just like Gwynn, I didn't see it coming! The ending was bittersweet for me, because I was happy that the case was solved, but sad to say goodbye to Gwynn and Ruben. This story would look great on the big screen or on TV, because I could picture it with ease.

Inge-Lise Goss has written an intriguing thriller full of danger, mystery and suspense. As mentioned above, this is the second story I have read by this author, and I find her writing greatly improved compared to the first book. I love her fast paced writing style and the flow of the story was wonderful. I am now looking forward to reading more of her books in the future.

Due to some violence, although not too graphic, I do not recommend this book to younger readers. However, I highly recommend this book if you love thrillers full of mystery, suspense, danger, action, adventure and romance. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


               

1 comment:

  1. Lynn, thanks for featuring my novel on your blog and giving it such a wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete