Wednesday 22 January 2014

Book Review of Rescued (Flowers of the Bayou) by Arlene Lam



Synopsis:

The fire that burned when they were together was consuming.

Her whole life Amelia was told what to do obediently following the rules her domineering aunt set forth. Right down to letting the woman choose the man she was to marry. However this was about to change because from the moment she laid eyes on Jordan Bradford the shy young maid was lost. But loving a man like him was beyond dangerous for more than the obvious reasons. However Amelia found herself throwing caution to the wind and willing to risk everything for just one kiss.

Intriguing and honest Jordan was drawn to Amelia instantly. Shy and witty Jordan knows that deep down there is a woman just waiting to be set free if only those around her would let her. Still he knew pursuing her was not an option. And even if it was she was already promised to another man. Yet every time she was near that knowledge was lost to him. Wasn't forbidden fruit always sweeter? It was an added luxury that whenever he was in her presence his past seemed just that, the past. Just one look and a flame long though extinguished was awakened in him. So much so that Amelia was a woman Jordan decided needed to be rescued.


Review:


RescuedRescued by Arlene Lam
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

I love a good romance story, so when I was offered this book, I jumped at the chance. I'm glad I did, because I really enjoyed it.

Amelia Marriott is an intriguing character. She is the maid/cook for a family called Bradford. She is a bit on the shy side, but she has an inner strength that comes to the fore. I really liked her a lot.

Jordan Bradford is the head of the Bradford household. He is also an intriguing character. He has a wonderful personality and is a loving brother to little Georgia. I liked him a lot too!

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started to read this story, but from the first page I was hooked! This story is set in New Orleans in 1872. I must admit that I have not read many interracial historical romances, but this story was very enjoyable. There are some interesting characters that help bring the book to life. Little Georgia (Jordan's sister) is a gem! She is only six, but she had me giggling at her antics. Morgan, Amelia's suitor, on the other hand is an old pervert! His attitude made me want to punch him! Or at least report him to the police! The story is told through several points of view, but Amelia and Jordan are the main characters. They make a lovely couple, but the prejudice they face is still relevant to this day. I personally have no issue with interracial relationships, but a lot of people do. Interracial relationships in the 1800's was rather a risque thing to do, and several families were broken because of it. Both Amelia and Jordan, in my opinion, were very brave to incur the wrath of their respective families. There are several twists and turns that surprised me, and the ending left me smiling.

Arlene Lam has written a fast paced historical romance that flowed beautifully. Her use of colloquial Southern language made the characters become more real. I would definitely consider reading more of her books in the future.

I highly recommend this book if you love historical romances. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


          

No comments:

Post a Comment