Wednesday 15 January 2014

Book Review of The Jade Treasure of Shadows; Amelia Maylock #4 (Amelia Maylock books) by Jason Ellis


Synopsis:

"I need to be careful." People in the old fashioned dimension were not familiar with magic of any kind. Amelia reminded herself that staying disguised was paramount. If she did find something wrong in the town square, Amelia knew she would need to decide quickly if she was going to react, or get out of there to safety. As she turned the final corner and saw the black iron fence ahead of her, it was clear straight away that something connected to her magical world was happening. A few feet in front of her, hanging in the middle of the road, all the way up to the fence, was an uneven line of white light. It had a distinctive blue tinge to it and looked as if someone had run along with a pen - that wrote in light - scribbling in the air. "I've never seen anything like that before!" Pretending to be totally unaware of it, and just a 'normal' girl walking home, Amelia followed the light trail towards the iron fence.

Review:


The Jade Treasure of Shadows (Amelia Maylock, #4)The Jade Treasure of Shadows by Jason Ellis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the fourth book in the Amelia Maylock series for young adults (age range 9 to 14). I absolutely loved it!

Amelia Maylock is a fantastic character. She is growing up quite quickly and, although her evil twin sister Erryaz is still trying to get her to join her, Amelia sets off on a dangerous mission to rescue her friend from a terrible fate.

The story carries on from the end of the third book. I have really enjoyed this series so far! There is danger and excitement aplenty, but there is also humour and friendship. The story captured my attention from the first page, and I became engrossed in Amelia's journey. The old hag (her real name) is one of the wittiest characters in the book, and some of her jokes made me groan, but what kid doesn't like that kind of humour? Amelia's journey into the prison realm is very atmospheric. If you have a touch of arachnophobia (fear of spiders), you may want to skip over it! If you did though, you would miss out on a very exciting scene. I could picture that scene quite clearly - my heart sure got a work out and, although I didn't bite my nails, it was a close thing! The descriptions of the characters and places were very vivid, and I could picture them all in my minds eye with ease.
The only major complaint I have is that the book seemed to end too quickly - I wanted to keep reading! The ending has a huge cliffhanger and now I have to wait until the next book to find out if Amelia can (or will) defeat Erryaz. Please hurry up Mr. Ellis!

Jason Ellis has written an exciting YA fantasy/adventure series that will keep youngsters hooked from the first page! I love his writing style, which is fast paced and flows beautifully.

I highly recommend this book (and series) to not only boys and girls aged between 9 to 14, but to adults who love the younger YA genre. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


        

No comments:

Post a Comment