Saturday 11 January 2014

Book Review of Three Days of Rain by Christine Hughes



Synopsis:

Just when he thought his life was turning around... Things haven’t been easy for Jacob Morgan. Persecuted by the ghosts of his past, Jake lives each day just going through the motions, barely getting by. Then Lily Burns comes to town and befriends him. As Jake starts to heal, he begins to hope that he has finally overcome the mistakes and tragedies that have tormented him for so long. But just when he thinks his problems are solved, his past comes back to haunt him, and once again, Jake is confronted by situations he is ill-equipped to handle. Can Jake hold on to the progress he has made, or will the lies, guilt, and secrets he’s tried to ignore shove him back into an abyss from which there is no escape?

Review:


Three Days of RainThree Days of Rain by Christine Hughes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review 6******

This is a fantastic NA Romance story! I absolutely LOVED it!

Jacob Morgan is a fantastic character. He is a caring, loving man, but he has been hurt very badly by a relationship that was rather toxic. He is struggling to slowly pull his life together, but it's not until he meets Lily Burns that he feels hope for the future. I really liked this character a lot.

Lily Burns is also a fantastic character. She is warm, fun loving and carefree. I liked her very much. I would love to meet and befriend her, but as she is a fictional character, that would be rather difficult!

I had previously read a YA romance by this author, so I knew what her writing style was like. However, I was totally unprepared for the emotional roller coaster I would be in for. I had read some of the other reviews, but I thought I would be able to "tough it out". Nope, I was a total emotional wreck! The story starts off slowly, but as more of Jake's past is revealed in a series of flashbacks, I fell in love with Jake myself! I cannot understand what Jake saw in Maddie, as she was totally selfish and self serving. Jake is not perfect himself, but he didn't deserve to be treated in that way. However, I was glad for him when he met Lily; he deserved some happiness. The story is told mostly from both Jake's and Lily's points of view, which gives the reader the opportunity to get to know their thoughts and feelings, but some of the other characters have a say too; they all came alive on the page. The author states that this book is a work of fiction, but it felt like a true story. The events in the tale have a very lifelike quality to them. It is a good thing I keep a supply of tissues handy for my hayfever, because I needed to use more than a couple! There are some very touching scenes that had me in tears more than once and, although I didn't want to put the book down, I had to stop to mop them up! There are also a few twists that surprised me, but there is a big one near the end that nearly gave me a heart attack and left me reeling in shock! This book is an amazing and heartbreaking tale of love and tragedy that tugged on my heartstrings, and will stay with me for some time to come.

Christine Hughes has written a fantastic story that has touched me deeply! I love her ability to bring the characters to life on the page. I think this could be a great TV movie, given the opportunity. I eagerly look forward to reading more books by this author in the future.

Although there are scenes of a sensual nature, they are not explicit. I highly recommend this book if you love contemporary romance. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


        

No comments:

Post a Comment