Monday 30 June 2014

Book Review of Reckless Magic: The Star-Crossed Series #1



Synopsis:

16 year old Eden Matthews has been in and out of private schools for the last two years. She can't seem to stop herself from closing them down. Kingsley is her last chance to finish high school and the last private school willing to accept her.

She is focused on just getting through graduation until she realizes Kingsley is not like the other private schools she's been to. The students may be different, but so is she. And after meeting Kiran Kendrick, the boy who won't leave her alone and seems to be the source of all her problems, she is suddenly in a world that feels more make-believe than reality.

To top it off, she is being hunted by men who want to kill Kiran and her best friend Lilly is taken away to a foreign prison. Eden finds herself right in the middle of an ancient war, threatening everything she loves. She alone has to find a way to save her best friend and the boy who has captivated her heart.

Reckless Magic is an intricate story about mystery, adventure, magic and forbidden love. Eden Matthews is an unlikely heroine determined to save the world and be with her one, true love before it's too late.


Review:


Reckless Magic (Star-Crossed, #1)Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the first book in The Star-Crossed Series. This is another book, I am ashamed to say, that I downloaded over two years ago when it was free, and I am kicking myself for not reading sooner. I loved it!

Eden Matthews is only sixteen years old, but she has had more trouble in her life than most teens at that age. She is a typical teen, who thinks she is always right, and tends to be very reckless (in my opinion). I really liked her, but due to her reckless behaviour, I also wanted to shake her at times.

I started to read this book and was hooked from the first page. I have read a few YA books with a similar girl meets boy, instant attraction and forbidden love theme. However, this story is quite different in many ways. It has a unique plot line, with twists and turns that completely surprised me. The story is full of danger, magic, adventure and romance. This story is told from various character's points of view, but mostly through Eden's eyes. The characters in this story are very interesting. Kiran Kendrick is actually a prince. I liked him, but due to his upbringing, I found him to be a bit of an arrogant jerk at times. However, whenever Eden and Kiran are in the same room, their attraction is magical. I don't mean that in a dreamy way (although there is some of that), but because there is magic involved. They are like magnets that cannot stop snapping together whenever they meet. This creates some interesting situations. Lilly is Eden's first new friend at Kingsley, and has secrets of her own. I really liked her. She is a lovely character and a great friend. Avalon is also a fantastic character. I guessed who he was in relation to Eden, but his upbringing was completely different to his twin, and this, I felt, gave him an advantage that was denied to her that was slightly unfair. However, there is a reason why this happened, but I felt that if Eden had not been as sheltered, she wouldn't have been so reckless in her actions. Nevertheless, the story took me on an amazing journey from beginning to end. Although this story doesn't finish on a cliffhanger, I am looking forward to continuing the rest of the series as soon as possible. I have a lot of catching up to do, since there are 6.5 books in this series - I had better get cracking!

Rachel Higginson has written a fantastic YA romance. Her characters are very lifelike and likable. I loved her fast paced writing style, and the flow was wonderful. I have never read any of this author's books before, but I will certainly be adding her to my favourite authors list, and reading more of her books as soon as I can.

I highly recommend this book to teens aged 15+ and to adults who love YA or paranormal romance genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                    

No comments:

Post a Comment