Saturday 7 September 2013

Book Review of The 12th Year Awakening; Amelia Maylock (Amelia Maylock books #1) by Jason Ellis



Synopsis:

The first book in the 'Amelia Maylock' series. Little did Amelia know that as she dressed for school on a normal Friday morning at the beginning of March, her life would soon change forever. 'You are here because you are the only one who can defeat her. I don't know when you will meet her or where but I know it will happen. We found out your whereabouts only recently when an ancient book was discovered, telling us about the twin of Erryaz and where she could be found." Amelia was definitely not expecting an explanation like that. She didn't know what to say or do. The 12th Year Awakening is the first book in the Amelia Maylock series. Amelia is a happy twelve year old girl who discovers one day that she is very special and has powers. She has an evil twin sister, Erryaz, and Amelia must learn to defeat her while searching dimensions for jewels to aid her in the final fight for good.

Review:


The 12th Year AwakeningThe 12th Year Awakening by Jason Ellis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a fantastic YA fantasy for children! I loved it!

Amelia Maylock is a fantastic character. She is a normal young girl, or so she thinks, but she soon finds out that she isn't; she is a witch and has powers she never knew she had. I really liked this character as she struggles to accept that her whole life has been turned upside down. She is courageous and brave, but also extremely confused and frightened.

I had previously read another book series by this author and loved it, so I knew that I would enjoy this one. I was correct! This is an exciting start to a series; I found myself hooked from the first page! There are some great characters in this book. I really enjoyed meeting Anin and the old hag (her real name!). The old hag thinks she's a comedian! I must admit that I did snigger at a few of her comments, they were quite witty! However, it's not all fun and games in this story. There is danger in the form of Amelia's twin sister, Erryaz. We only get to meet her once, but once was enough! She's quite scary! I'm not sure how she became so evil, but I hope to find out by reading the other books in the series.
The story is told with young readers in mind, so there are no big words to confuse them as they journey with Amelia to fantastic worlds (dimensions) and meet new friends and a scary enemy. The story has a blend of fantasy and reality that will appeal to youngsters and keep them entertained. I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series to find out what happens next!

Jason Ellis has written a fast paced story that flowed well and kept me turning the pages! I really enjoy his writing style, as it allowed my imagination to take flight!

I highly recommend this book (and series) to not only boys and girls aged between 9 to 14, but to adults who love the younger YA genre. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


      

No comments:

Post a Comment