Wednesday 25 September 2013

Book Review of Rest Inn Peace by Bonnie Bernard



Synopsis:

Rest Inn Peace is a charming bed and breakfast nestled in a magical grove on the outskirts of Yellowstone National Park, next to an old cemetery packed with brain-starved zombies. The inn ishome to dragons, fairies, talking animals and ghosts. The welcome-wagon committee is a creepy statue and a crazy manager. For Cobra and his 12 year old daughter Zoe, inheriting the inn is anything but a delightful family rest stop and it brings out the worst in them both; after all, fairies and dragons aren’t even real – are they? Cobra wants to take his kid and run, but where will they go? The outside world is crumbling, people are hungry and desperate. When Cobra takes over running the Inn, murders begin to plague the small town of Broken Spur Valley with a frightening regularity. Is there a connection between their arrival and those mysterious murders?

Review:


Rest Inn PeaceRest Inn Peace by Bonnie Bernard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review 6******

This is a highly entertaining read! I LOVED IT!

Cobra (real name Corbin) Carpenter is a fantastic character. He is an ex-con with an alcohol addition he is trying to kick. When he inherits a Bed and Breakfast business, his whole world gets turned upside down! I really liked this character, even though his belief (or is that disbelief?) of other worldly creatures is severely tested.

Zoe Carpenter is his twelve year old daughter. She is another fantastic character. She is very sweet and still has the ability to see fairies and other creatures that adults no longer see. I liked her very much.

There are also some other fantastic characters in this story. These include a talking cat, a dragon (or 2), fairies, zombies and a family of yeti's by the name of Smith!There is even a ghost from the seventies (that's 1970's!) called Foxy, who talks in rhyme. This story ROCKS! It completely pulled me in and kept me hooked from the first page! I found this book to be an exciting and unusual read. There are some twists and turns which kept me guessing, and the mystery of the murderer only got deeper as the story progressed. This story has a mixture of humour and horror that intrigued and appalled, but at the same time thoroughly entertained. The end of the story has a HUGE twist (for which I hated the author for - how dare she end it like that!!!) that completely shocked me! I don't normally swear, but I did and went "Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!". I hope there is a sequel, because I would love to know what happened next! If not, the ending is cruel and unusual punishment!

Bonnie Bernard has written another amazing story that is full of eccentric and quirky characters that come alive on the page. She has a sense of humour that can be dark at times, but dry too. I have read her other series, The Midnight Hunter series (and loved it) so I knew that I was going to be highly entertained; She did not disappoint! She is one of my favourite authors!

I highly recommend this book if you love paranormal and/or fantasy genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


          

No comments:

Post a Comment