Sunday 29 September 2013

Book Review of Fury of Fire (Dragonfury Series #1) by Coreene Callahan



Synopsis:

A clandestine race of half-dragon, half-humans known as dragon-shifters lives among us. Bastian, leader of the Nightfury dragon clan, is sworn to protect humankind at all costs. For him, honor and duty always come first. When the clan dictates he take a human mate to sire a son, he falters, aware that for a human to birth a dragon-shifter she must die. Myst, the woman given into his care, is the most extraordinary he’s ever met, and though he can’t bear the thought of harming her he is bound by duty.

Myst loves her life in the human world, but Bastian has captured her heart in an instant of electric connection. But Bastian and his warriors are in the middle of a deadly battle with the Razorback dragon-shifters, intent on killing every Nightfury clan member—and the humans they protect—the fate of their world and ours hangs in the balance.

An extraordinary blend of action, fantasy, and steamy romance, Fury of Fire brings to life a dangerous new world intertwined with the survival of humanity, all while exploring the meaning of honor and the nature of true love.


Review:


Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)Fury of Fire by Coreene Callahan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love paranormal romances with shifters (either werewolves or dragons), and when I first heard about this book and read the blurb, I became very interested indeed!

Bastian is an intriguing character. He is a typical alpha male - all testosterone and protectiveness towards his family. He is the head of the Nightfury clan, a group of half human/half dragons who protect the humans from another group of dragon shifters. He is uber sexy and knows how he affects the females! I must admit that he did get my heart pitta-pattering too!

Myst Munroe is a character that annoyed me at first. She is a midwife, who was in the right place at the wrong time. Being thrown into a dangerous world of dragons would terrify anyone, never mind Myst, but I found her character a bit weak and pathetic. However, as the story progressed, she finds her backbone and I began to like her a bit more.

I originally bought this book in the Kindle format, but I also got a copy in audio format when it went on sale. I have only recently started using audio books because of time issues - I can listen to the story whilst preparing dinner, or other household chores (NOT vacuuming though!). This story was a bit hard to get into at first, because I had to get used to listening to someone else reading a story. However, once I got into the story, I was totally hooked! There was only one issue I had with this story, and that was the excessive use of swear words. I don't mind the occasional ones, but the author has peppered the story with what I think were gratuitous and unnecessary f-bombs.
The story was a bit predictable, but there was a couple of interesting twists that kept me intrigued enough to keep listening. There is an amazing battle that is described in detail, and made me feel like I was actually there! There are also scenes of a sensual nature that are rather explicit, and made me wonder what the male narrator thought as he read the story! Oh, that reminds me, this book is told from mostly Bastian's point of view, but Myst has a say in the story too, which gave me an insight into her thoughts and feelings. A couple of other dragon-shifters also have their point of view shown. Rikar is Bastian's right hand man, and another sexy half-dragon! Ivar is a Razorback, and enemy of the Nightfuries. He is CREEPY! He made my skin crawl with his mad scientist lunacy! The end of the book finishes on a bit of a cliffhanger, and I'm looking forward to reading/listening to the rest of the series.

Coreene Callahan has written a fast paced, sexy read that had me wishing these characters really existed!

Due to the use of bad language and the explicit scenes, I do not recommend this book for younger readers. However, I recommend this book if you love erotic paranormal romances or books with sexy dragon shifters! - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


             

No comments:

Post a Comment