Thursday 6 June 2013

Book Review of The Wildest Place by Kyla Phillips


Synopsis:

Sala is bonded with three animals a lion, an orca, and a dolphin. When they are murdered, she reconnects with her old partner, Derulo, to figure out who from their past is responsible.

With Derulo’s help and those of his bondmates, Fay & Whalen (wolves), and Tor (bald eagle) she discovers the culprits and brings them to justice.


Review:


The Wildest PlaceThe Wildest Place by Kyla Phillips
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a short fantasy novella. I found the synopsis intriguing, so I decided to give it a try, as I love fantasy.

Sala is an intriguing character. However, I felt that the book was not quite long enough to understand her better. I did like her though! I was intrigued with the idea of being bonded with animals. Her bondmates are: a lion called Mya, a dolphin called Cai and an Orca called Nayla. When Sala's bondmates are killed, she and her ex-partner investigate.

Derulo is an extremely intriguing character! I found him very sexy! He's the equivalent of either a policeman or a special agent. I did like him a lot!

I must admit that I was a bit disappointed that there was no hanky panky between these two characters! I did feel that there was a spark there, but the author didn't go down the romance route. Rather, she stuck to business. Being a short story, I can understand the reasoning. However, I felt this book could have been a lot longer, and a fantastic paranormal romance. I'm sure there is a lot more to the story between Sala and Derulo! I had a feeling of slight disappointment when the story ended; I wanted to keep reading! I also had a question or three bouncing around my brain: Would Sala find a new bondmate, or are they only allowed three for life? How and when were bondmates chosen? Where can I get one (or three)?

Kyla Phillips has written an intriguing fantasy, but, unfortunately, this story could have been so much more. There is lots of potential in this author. I encourage her to keep writing and perfecting her craft.

I recommend this book if you love fantasy or paranormal genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


          

No comments:

Post a Comment