Thursday 25 July 2013

Book Review of The Lilean Chronicles Book One: Redemption by Merita King



Synopsis:

Two ancient prophecies, both foretelling the extinction of a race. Two sides racing to their appointment with destiny. A terrible tide of evil laying waste to their world. So much rage, fear and a baby crying. A single baby prophesied to save Lilea and many other worlds from extinction by the Transmortal Army. One single man who will bring an end to the evil that almost wiped them out and in doing so, save many worlds from their darkness. Vincent worries for his sanity as he suffers the nightmares and hears the voices in the dreams. As he battles with the nightmares and the source of the voices in the dreams is revealed, he begins to discover his destiny and finds that there are other forces at work against him.

Many worlds away Farra discovers her part in his great task. Can she survive the terrors that lurk in the tunnels and can she unmask the mysterious killer? The ancient spirit people take them on a journey through space and time as they both race from world to world to meet their date with destiny and fulfill the prophecy.

Review:



The Lilean Chronicles:Book One ~ RedemptionThe Lilean Chronicles:Book One ~ Redemption by Merita M. King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

I love science fiction, so when I was offered this book, I grabbed at it! I'm glad I did, because I loved it!

Farra is a human from Earth. She is a very strong character. She is very tenacious, has a will of iron and is dangerous with a knife! I liked her very much. She has been chosen for a very dangerous mission. Will she succeed?

Vincent is a very enigmatic character. I liked this character very much, but he didn't feature much in the beginning of the story. He is very much a loner, but being framed for a crime he didn't commit, he has become a fugitive.

This was an exciting read that kept me hooked from the first page! Science fiction is a subjective genre, but it allows the author to create beautiful worlds and fantastical characters. Add in a touch of suspense, and you get an adventure of galactic proportions! The author of this book has done just that. The descriptions of the characters and the environs were such that I could easily picture them. The story is told from several points of view, but Farra seems to be the main character until Vincent is brought into it. I was intrigued with Drycenian nation. They are most civilized, and are very technologically advanced compared to all the other worlds. Although, I'm not sure I approved of some of the technology used on Farra. However, I can see why they would do so, and she definitely needed the improvements to aid her mission! The King and the Prince appear to be kind and gentle, but they can be dangerous if provoked. I wouldn't want to get on their bad side!
There is a prophecy to fulfill and danger in the form of the Transmortal Army. These are a rather nasty bunch of people but, in their own way, they are pawns in a mad man's vendetta. There are plenty of twists and turns that surprised me, but there was a big one that I certainly didn't see coming! I am now looking forward to reading the next book, The Sleeping.

Merita King has written a fantastic science fiction novel that is fast paced and flows beautifully. I am now a fan of hers!

Due to some gruesome violence, I do not recommend this book for younger readers, but I highly recommend this book if you love Science Fiction. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


        

1 comment: